It is not always possible to pay respects in person, so we hope that this small token will help.
A gift to your family, sparing them hard decisions at an emotional time.
Offer a gift of comfort and beauty to a family suffering from loss.
The Welch Story
In 1914, W. M. Welch who had been an undertaker in Alabama for 25 years, moved to Longview and opened Welch Hardware and Undertaking. After the death of W. M. Welch in 1930, his son O. Thomas Welch continued both businesses.
After a fire in 1937 destroyed the hardware store, Thomas Welch decided to close the hardware business and focus exclusively on funeral service. In 1939 Welch Funeral Home, at 210 S. Green Street, was built.
Thomas Welch's wife, Alta Rita Welch, contributed to the success of the businesses through her many church and civic activities. Thomas Welch remained active in the family businesses until his premature death at age fifty-five in 1953.
After the death of his father, 0. Thomas Welch, Jr. assumed responsibility for the businesses. He and his younger brother, Brewster Welch, represented the third generation in funeral service. In 1965, Thomas supervised the construction of the separate chapel and the complete renovation of the downtown funeral home’s main building.
In January 1985 Thomas' wife,Susan Welch, founded The Welch Plan: A Preneed Funeral Sales Organization, offering the public the opportunity to prearrange funeral services with Welch Funeral Home.
In 1995, Thomas and Susan Welch purchased a parcel of land at the intersection of Judson Road and Pliler Precise Road. In the fall of 1998 the architectural firm of J. Stuart Todd was engaged and the design of a “state of the art, turn of the century” new funeral facility began.
Thomas’ son, Marcus Welch, who represents the fourth generation, began his career with the funeral home in December 1975 and was appointed Funeral Director in Charge in 1989.
As we move deeper into the new millennium, Welch Funeral Home continues to be a family owned and operated business. Family serving families.